At least 7 people were killed and 48 injured when Three assailants attacked pedestrians on London Bridge, late last night, the second major act of terrorism to strike the United Kingdom in less than two weeks.
Armed police rushed to the scene and shot dead the three male attackers in the Borough Market area near the bridge, as authorities urged Londoners on Twitter to “run, hide, tell” if they were caught up in the violence.
“The suspects had been confronted and shot by police within eight minutes of the first call,” Rowley said.
The Metropolitan Police force has declared the attacks as “terrorist incidents”, and police specialists have begun collecting evidence.
Hours after the attack the area remained sealed off and patrolled by armed police and counter-terrorism officers.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said Sunday some of those injured in the attacks on the city are in “critical” condition.
Khan said that Londoners should all remain vigilant as the terrorist threat level is severe. But he added: “I’m reassured we are one of the safest global cities in the world.”
Khan says the militants want to disrupt Britain’s democracy and hamper plans for voting in the general election June 8.
He praised emergency services and said police would make a statement after an emergency cabinet meeting.
British Prime Minister Theresa May said that the “terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism.”
May plans to chair an emergency security Cabinet session today to deal with the crisis.
Britain’s Conservative Party announced that it is suspending national campaigning ahead of the general election as a result of the attacks.
United States (US) President Donald Trump took to Twitter to offer US help to Britain. The White House said he had been briefed on the incidents by his national security team.