Attackers raided Iran’s parliament and opened fire at the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini a few kilometers south of the capital on Wednesday morning, in near simultaneous assaults that killed up to seven people, media reported.
Tasmin news agency said there were unconfirmed reports that the attackers had taken four hostages inside the parliament building. Three assailants, one with a pistol and two with AK-47 assault rifles, carried out the attack in central Tehran, lawmaker Elias Hazrati told state television.
Around half an hour later, an attacker opened fire at the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini, injuring several members of the public, Iran’s English-language Press TV said. State news agency IRNA quoted an official at the mausoleum as saying the attacker had set off a suicide bomb after shooting at people. Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini launched the Islamic revolution in 1979. Iranian TV said parliament had resumed, and broadcast footage of what it said was the opening session proceeding normally.
A second suicide bomber detonated explosives outside the shrine of Iran’s revolutionary founder Ruhollah Khomeini in south Tehran on Wednesday, state broadcaster IRIB reported.
Armed men attacked at Iranian parliament : Iranian Media
Tehran: Several people were reportedly injured after armed men entered into Tehran’s parliament building and the mausoleum of revolutionary founder Ruhollah Khomeini on Wednesday, state media said.
One member of parliament told that there were three gunmen inside the parliamentary complex in central Tehran, armed with rifles and a pistol. Three people had been shot, including at least one security guard.
An apparently coordinated attack took place at the mausoleum of Iranian revolutionary founder Ruhollah Khomeini. An armed man was inside the mausoleum in southern Tehran, around 20 kilo meters from the parliament building, with reports of several injuries.
Iran urges ‘dialogue’ between Qatar and Gulf neighbours
TEHRAN, June 5, (APP/AFP) – Iran’s foreign ministry on Monday urged Qatar and neighbouring Gulf Arab countries
that have severed diplomatic ties with the gas-rich peninsula to engage in dialogue.”The solution to differences
between states in the region, including the current problem between Qatar and its three neighbours, is only
possible through political and peaceful methods and dialogue between the parties,”
Foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement published on the ministry’s website.