Barcelona
World

Multiple deaths reported as van rams into crowd in Barcelona tourist area

BARCELONA: At least 13 people were killed after a van ploughed into crowds in Barcelona’s Las Ramblas avenue in the city centre on Thursday, Cadena Ser radio station reported, citing police sources.A van has ploughed into crowds in Barcelona’s famous Las Ramblas tourist area.

People were killed and injured as the vehicle sped along the pedestrianised area, sending many fleeing for cover in shops and cafes.

Witnesses said the van had deliberately targeted people before coming to a stop.

El Pais newspaper said the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot after mowing down dozens of people.

Police are treating the incident as a terror attack.

Spanish media reports say one or two armed men barricaded themselves inside a bar in the area after the attack.

Tom Markwell from New Orleans, who was just arriving in a taxi in Las Ramblas, said: “I heard a crowd screaming. It sounded like they were screaming for a movie star.

“I saw the van. It had already been busted on the front. It was weaving left and right, trying to hit people as fast as possible. There were people lying on the ground.”

 

This is a developing story and will be updated continuously

About the author

Mian Bilal

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *