anti
Business

US probe irresponsible: China

BEIJING: China expres­sed ‘strong dissatisfaction’ on Monday with the US launch of an investigation into China’s alleged theft of US intellectual property, calling it ‘irresponsible’. The US Trade Representative formally announced the investigation on Friday, a widely expected move following a call from President Donald Trump earlier last week to determine whether a probe was needed.

The investigation is the administration’s first direct measure against Chinese trade practices, which the White House and US business groups say are damaging American industry.

China’s Commerce Ministry said in a statement that the move sent the wrong signal to the world, and would be condemned by the international community.

“The US’ disregard of World Trade Organisation rules and use of domestic law to initiate a trade investigation against China is irresponsible, and its criticism of China is not objective,” an unnamed ministry spokesman said.

About the author

Azhar Hashmi

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *