To make Coffee Caramel Monkey Cake , High quality, frozen, store-bought bread dough (either dinner rolls or whole loaves) makes prep here a snap, but if you’re feeling ambitious, you can always use one pound of homemade yeast-risen dough.
Technique tip: Kitchen scissors are the best tool for snipping the dough into small pieces.
- 2 pounds frozen white bread dough, thawed but still cold
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the dough
1. Spray a 10-inch bundt or tube pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut the dough into small pieces and roll into 1-inch balls.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon and salt. Lightly coat the dough balls with melted butter, then toss them in the sugar to coat. Fit the dough balls into the pan. Cover the pan with a clean tea towel or plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
3. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 350°F.
For the coffee caramel:
In a medium saucepan set over high heat, combine the coffee, butter, brown sugar and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring often until the sugar is dissolved. Boil for two minutes. Immediately pour the caramel over the risen dough.
Bake until puffed and golden, 35-40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Invert onto a platter and serve warm.