LAHORE: The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) has given former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s sons Hussain and Hassan deadline of 30 days to appear before the court otherwise they will be declared proclaimed offenders.
Hussain and Hassan have decided ‘in principle’ not to join the proceedings of the corruption references against them.
On Wednesday, NAB officials pasted copies of the notice at the Model Town and Jati Umra residences of the Sharif family. The former prime minister’s sons are required to appear before the trial court within 30 days, starting from Oct 11, otherwise they would be declared proclaimed offenders and their properties would be attached.
“The process of issuing red warrants for Mr Sharif’s sons will begin after the completion of 30 days , if they do not appear before court,” a NAB prosecutor told media.
On Oct 9, the accountability court in Islamabad ordered NAB to initiate the process of declaring the former premier’s sons POs, as they have consistently skipped the court’s proceedings in three graft references pertaining to their Park Lane flats and the establishment of offshore companies. Mr Sharif, his daughter Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law retired Capt Muhammad Safdar will be indicted on Oct 13.
According to Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leaders, Hassan and Hussain have chosen to invoke their foreign citizenship in order to skip the court proceedings in Pakistan. “They are foreign citizens and Pakistani laws do not apply to them, therefore they are unlikely to join the court proceedings against them here,” PML-N Senator Pervaiz Rashid told media.
He said because Mr Sharif’s sons had been doing business abroad for over two decades, their financial matters were open for scrutiny in Britain and Saudi Arabia. “All their business affairs are being run according to the laws of the land there,” Senator Rashid said, adding that Mr Sharif, his daughter and son-in-law would, however, continue to attend court proceedings in the NAB references.