mobile phones

ACE arrest four for tampering with Nikha Nama

MULTAN: Anti-corruption Establishment (ACE) Multan arrested four accused persons namely Tanveer ul Hsan Patwari, Tariq Farooq Karam Hassan, Irfan Qureshi after dismissal of their bail from High Court Multan. A case FIR #58/17 in Police station Chehlyak Multan was registered against the accused persons. A female complainant Zaheen Kanwal made a complaint in ACE Multan that all the accused persons have been involved in tampering her Nikha Nama.

Moreover, A judicial magistrate in Multan on Monday extended the judicial remand of cleric Mufti Abdul Qavi for seven days in connection with the ongoing investigations into Qandeel Baloch murder case. Mufti Abdul Qavi was brought to the courtroom in handcuffs as he tightly clasped a tasbeeh in his hands. The investigating officer in the Qandeel Baloch murder case asked the prosecution to produce the challan in court against Qavi. The court ordered prosecution to submit the complete challan in the Qandeel Baloch murder case pertaining to Mufti Abdul Qavi within four days. Mufti Qavi’s lawyer was optimistic and stated that his client would soon be granted bail by the court.

“Mufti Qavi is an innocent person and God willing, tomorrow he will be granted bail,” said his lawyer. Proceedings in the Mufti Qabdul Qavi bail case will be heard on Tuesday, November 14. Mufti Qavi has been in police’s custody for two weeks and has undergone a lie detector test. The cleric’s health had deteriorated due to which he had been provided treatment. Mufti Abdul Qavi, who is under trial in the Qandeel Baloch murder case, was presented in the court of judicial magistrate today as his 13-day judicial remand completed. After both sides presented their arguments, the judge sent Qavi on physical remand for seven days. The next hearing of the case is on November 20. The police also submitted the charge-sheet against Qavi to the prosecutor today, following which the challan will be submitted to the judge in case no changes are needed in it. Qavi has already spent around two weeks in police custody following which he was sent to jail on judicial remand.

Qavi was also taken through a polygraph test at Punjab Forensic Science Authority (PFSA) in Lahore earlier, which went on for over five hours. However, PFSA officials said the accused was not cooperative during the lie-detection test. On October 18, Judicial Magistrate Mohammad Pervez issued non-bailable warrants for Qavi after investigation officer Noor Akbar requested the court to do so on the grounds that the cleric is not cooperating with the police.

The cleric was later arrested after reportedly attempting to escape. Mufti Qavi was uncooperative during polygraph, PFSA informs Multan police  After being arrested, Qavi complained of chest pain and was admitted to a hospital. He also underwent angiography in the following days and was discharged later.

Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Sardar Yousaf suspended Qavi’s membership of Ruet-e-Hilal Committee after Qandeel released pictures of herself with the cleric in a hotel room week before her murder in July 2016, wearing his hat and pouting. She had accused him of inappropriate behaviour. She had faced frequent abuse and death threats. Baloch, who shot to fame for her provocative selfies that polarised Pakistan, was allegedly strangled on July 16, 2016 by her brother Waseem.

Mohammad Rizwan Awan