Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Parmesan Drop Biscuits
20 oz . boneless skinless chicken breast , cooked and shredded in to bite size pieces
- 5 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (heaping) peeled and 1/2-inch diced russet potatoes (2 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 recipe parmesan drop biscuits , recipe follows
In an enamled cast iron pot, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add in onion, carrot and celery and saute 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, potatoes, parsley, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, (press veggies down into broth) cover with lid, and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 15 – 25 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in chicken and peas.
In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter. Stir in flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 1/2 minutes. While whisking slowly pour in milk and whisk vigorously to smooth lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat while stirring constantly, then remove from heat and stir in cream. Pour and stir milk mixture into mixture in pot. Stir in lemon juice.
Remove bay leaf and serve warm with Parmesan Drop Biscuits.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy