Hot Fudge Cake (AKA Chocolate Cobbler)
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (142g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (74g) unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces and melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (355ml) very hot water
- Sliced strawberries and bananas
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Mint leaves (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 9-inch (or 11 by 7-inch) baking dish, set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt for 20 seconds. Pour in milk, melted butter and vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until well blended. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish.
In a mixing bowl whisk together remaining 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Pour mixture over batter and spread into an even layer. Carefully pour hot water evenly over top, do not stir.
Bake in preheated oven 35 – 40 minutes until center is nearly set (it should still wiggle slightly). Remove from oven and let stand for 10 – 15 minutes before serving. Serve in bowls topped with strawberries, bananas, ice cream and pecans if desired. Garnish with mint. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy