Quinoa and Vegetable Stew
2 Tbsp vegetable oil (I subbed olive oil)
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth , then more as needed
- 1 lb . red potatoes , unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup prewashed or rinsed white quinoa
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 tomatoes , cored and chopped coarse
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz . queso fresco or feta cheese , crumbled (2 cups)
- 1 avocado , halved, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, paprika, coriander, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low (I covered the pot from this point on) and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Stir in quinoa and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in corn (I actually waited to add corn until adding the peas since I used frozen corn) and simmer until potatoes and quinoa are just tender, about 5 – 7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and peas and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste. (Stew can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Add additional broth as needed to thin sauce when reheating). Sprinkle each serving with queso fresco, avocado and cilantro before serving (it is noted not to omit the toppings as they are key to the flavor of this soup and I’d definitely agree).
Recipe source: Cooking Classy