Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
2 3/4 cups (389g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting pan
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups (360g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp (12g) lemon zest
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs , at room temperature (I rested them in warm water for 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup (235ml) buttermilk, at room temperature (I just warmed it for 20 seconds in the microwave)
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups (295g) fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained (but not dried)
- Blueberries , lemon slices and fresh mint for decorationg, optional
- 3 oz (85g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp (16g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (250g) powered sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp (30ml) fresh lemon juice
For the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan well with non-stick cooking spray, evenly dust with flour and shake out excess, set aside. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer set with the paddle attachment, mix together sugar and lemon zest until it appears pale yellow and is very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add butter and whip mixture until pale and fluffy. Blend in eggs one at a time. Mix in lemon extract. In a liquid measuring cup stir together buttermilk and lemon juice. Toss blueberries with 1 Tbsp (8g) of the flour mixture and set aside.
Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix just until combined, then add in 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and mix just until combined. Repeat process with flour and buttermilk mixtures once more. Add last 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix just until nearly combined then add blueberries and fold mixture with a spatula to evenly distribute blueberries (careful not to over-mix). Scoop and pour mixture into prepared bundt pan, spread evenly. Bake in preheated oven about 50 – 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into center comes out clean (be careful not to under-bake or the lower portion with all the blueberries may be too moist, yes there’s such a thing). Cool a wire rack 20 minutes then run a sharp knife around edges to ensure cake is loosened and invert onto a wire rack. Cool on rack then spread lemon cream cheese icing over cake and decorate with blueberries, lemon slices and mint if desired.
For the lemon cream cheese icing:
In a mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer), mix cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add in powdered sugar and lemon juice and mix until light and fluffy.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy