Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup small diced carrot
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced (1 Tbsp)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or fresh
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast pounded evenly to nearly ½-inch thickness
- 1 (16 ounce) package potato gnocchi or homemade gnocchi
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk , then more to thin as needed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach , roughly chopped
- Shredded Romano cheese , for serving (optional)
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté 6 minutes, add garlic sauté 1- 2 minutes longer. Pour in broth, add rosemary, thyme, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add in chicken and bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked through (it should register 165 in center), about 8 – 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, while chicken is cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, cook and stir constantly 1 minute. While whisking vigorously pour in milk then continue to whisk vigorously to smooth any lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste. While whisking constantly, cook until mixture thickens and lightly boils. Stir in cream, remove from heat.
Once chicken in soup has cooked through remove chicken from soup and allow chicken to rest 5 minutes then dice or shred into pieces. (If veggies aren’t nearly soft let that soup simmer a few minutes longer before adding gnocchi) Add gnocchi to broth mixture, cover and simmer for recommend time directed on package, about 5 minutes. Stir milk mixture into broth mixture, add in chicken and spinach. Cook, while stirring frequently, 1 – 2 minutes longer. Serve warm with Romano cheese if desired.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy