Mango Salsa Chicken with Coconut Rice
Mango Salsa Chicken
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 large)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16 oz) jar mango peach salsa, I recommend using Target’s Archer Farm brand
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups frozen corn, thawed*
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 mango, sliced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed very well and drained well
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water or water
- 1 1/4 cups full fat canned coconut milk (well shaken)
For the mango salsa chicken
Place chicken breasts in an even layer in a 5 – 6 quart slow cooker.
Sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, paprika, coriander and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour salsa evenly over chicken. Cover slow cooker and cook on low heat 5 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.
Remove chicken from slow cooker and transfer to a cutting board, leave salsa mixture in slow cooker.
Add black beans and corn to salsa, cover and cook on high heat until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Shred chicken and return to slow cooker along with lime juice and cilantro, gently toss mixture.
Serve warm over coconut rice along with avocados and mangos.
*To thaw corn quickly just rinse under hot water in a fine mesh sieve and drain.
For the coconut rice
Bring coconut water or water, coconut milk, rice and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Let rest off heat for 10 minutes.